Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Today I am grateful for something that was sent to me when i was in basic training, one of the only things ever hand written to me by someone who was just learning to write and be sober. At the time I didn't know the significance of it to them or me. I kept that piece of paper, still have it.
I can't count how many times I've uttered, muttered, swore, and yelled this prayer, and yes even changed it, I'm sure we all have. But in really hard times, when I was hanging on to the very last thread, at the bottom of the rope, I'd remember that prayer, and I'd start reciting it, over and over, sometimes yelling it, out of frustration or anger. At being at another low point in my life, by my choices usually, but by reciting that prayer it would bring me back to reality and I'd reach up again and grab for that knot and climb myself out of the depths of hell.
I'm not a religious person, I'm a spiritual person, I'm a witch but we all believe in prayer, we all pray in different ways. This prayer has been with me for decades and been my saving grace.
The Serenity Prayer:
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change -
The courage to change the things I can -
The wisdom to know the difference -

I never knew why it was sent to me, but I am grateful, if for nothing else.
Change is good, knowing which change to choose is the difference and comes with wisdom and is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment